Friday, July 13, 2012

Criossant Bread Pudding

We've not had much of a summer here in Ireland. Actually, that's an understatement, we've had near constant rain and for the past week I've been able to see my breath outdoors. It's July. Rather than the traditional summer puddings and light desserts I would normally make, I've found myself going back to more autumnal fare; hot stodgy puddings and crumbles. This bread pudding is a twist on the traditional bread and butter pudding using croissants in place of bread. I must admit I prefer the more traditional version but I got wonderful fresh croissants this morning and I just had to make something with them to whisk away the soggy weather blues.


Croissant Bread Pudding
Serves 4
  • 5 large croissants
  • 3 eggs
  • 175mls cream
  • 4 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp cointreau (optional)
  • a handful of raisins
  • a handful of mixed peel (optional)
Preheat the oven to 175C
Whisk the eggs and milk and add the sugar, 1 tbsp of the maple syrup and the cointreau (if using)
Tear the croissants in half and pack half of them into a 9" ceramic oven dish
Scatter half of the raisins and mixed peel (if using) over the croissants
Drizzle over 2 tbsp of the maple syrup
Pour in the egg and cream mixture and scatter in the rest of the raisins
Drizzle over the last of the syrup and bake for 40-45 mins until golden and puffed up
Cool for 10 minutes or so and serve warm with cream.

Personally I prefer the bread version of this pudding but this is a firm family favourite, much lighter with a homey buttery taste and slight smokiness from the maple syrup! Delish!



No comments:

Post a Comment